Monday, October 1, 2018


Word Picture
The familiar boom of my guitar amp echoed through the music room as I flicked the on switch. I
strapped on my guitar and fiddled with the equalization knobs for a couple seconds, the standard
procedure that comes before I start my practice sessions. At this point in time I felt like I hit a wall in
my playing abilities, I learned all the songs I wanted to learn, I had memorized all the basic chords plus
a few extras, and I had a few solos under my belt. But I wanted something that I could call mine.
Everything I had done up to this point was someone else's work and I was merely a copycat.
After a couple of seconds of thought I quickly switched my brain over to practice mode and started
running through my scales as a warmup. Afterwards I moved on to the actual piece I would be playing,
a simple chord progression of the Key of G. After running through the progression a number of times I
decided it was time for a quick break and I slid my hand up the guitar neck and accidentally hit a note,
which to my surprise, sounded like it fit in the progression. In a split second all the gears in my head
started to turn and a light bulb went off. I had just accidentally found the note that would break through
the wall holding me back.

No comments:

Post a Comment