Thursday, October 4, 2018

A Life Changing Decision


Have you ever experienced what seemed like a normal day, but would end up changing your life forever? I did during May of my freshman year of high school, on that fateful day I received information about a summer job opportunity. The job was caddying at a country club. I decided it would be a good way to be outside, be active, and make some money. I went home and shared the information with my parents, they asked, “Are you sure you want to do that?” and “Isn’t that mostly for boys?” Despite their reservations I decided to try anyway.
            As my alarm rang at 5:30 a.m. for my first day of work, I contemplated whether or not I wanted to follow through with it. I was both excited and nervous.  I didn’t really know what to expect. By the end of that first round, I was exhausted, but incredibly satisfied. The next day I returned and fell in love with caddying. Finishing a round is an amazing feeling because although I’m exhausted, I know I worked hard and did my best. I fell in love with the golf course, with its rolling hills, the bright green grass, and the crystal-clear lakes. It was peaceful and breath-takingly beautiful. The members of my club have been unbelievably supportive and always encourage me to be my best, not only on the course, but in the classroom as well.  That first summer, I caddied thirty-nine times and was immensely happy with my decision to caddy. I had entered into a community that legitimately cared about my well-being.
            I returned the next summer and found out one of my friends had received the Chick Evans Scholarship for caddies, a full tuition and housing scholarship to a sponsoring school in the candidate’s state, in this case, the University of Minnesota. He explained it to me and told me how amazing and life changing this opportunity was. That summer I decided I was serious about trying to earn the scholarship. I was determined to do everything in my power to earn it. I caddied fifty-four times that summer, a course record that held for three years. My friends, family, and members of my club joked that I practically lived there. I was named the caddy of the year, a title given to the most dedicated caddy, that season. Three new girls had come to the club to caddy that summer and I set an example that they are following to this day.
            The third year was my last year caddying, although I continue to work at the club. I caddied thirty-four times that summer, putting me at a total of one hundred and twenty-seven loops, applying for the scholarship. The criteria for the scholarship are a strong caddie record, good grades, a good ACT score, and demonstrated financial need. I applied September of my senior year. I didn’t hear anything from the Western Golf Association until February 1, 2018. That afternoon I received an e-mail informing me that I had been selected as a finalist and was to attend the final interview on February 15, 2018.
            On a frigid February morning instead of going to school, I would be attending my final selection interview for the scholarship. I remember waking up early that morning, to get ready, I had to be at the country club by eleven o’clock. I walked in and was immediately greeted at the door by a Western Golf Association director, wearing his green jacket, the signature of the WGA. They brought my dad and I to another room with five of the other finalists and their parents. Two of the directors prepared the six of us for our interviews. They gave us examples of the types of questions we would be asked and tried to calm our nerves as much as possible.
I walked into the interview room, in front of about one hundred directors. I remember being terrified and not knowing what I was getting myself into. My interview began with me introducing myself to the committee. Prior to the interview they had us send in a list of hobbies. I said sports, baking, and reading; which led to one of them asking me what my favorite thing to bake is. I replied with chocolate chip cookies and he followed up with, “Well why didn’t you bring us any?!” They asked why I want to be a doctor. I began tearing up as I talked about my pediatrician who had inspired me, and had passed away of throat cancer, just weeks before the interview. I looked out into the audience, and was surprised to see people pulling out tissues, and dabbing at their eyes.
The final question of every interview is the same, “If you were awarded the Evans Scholarship, what would it mean to you?” This is a question I had been thinking about for a while. The scholarship would without a doubt change my life. My parents did not have the financial means to help me pay for college. I didn’t have the money and I have dreams of attending medical school. I would not be able to even think about going to medical school with all the student loans I would have from my undergraduate degree.
I felt nervous after the interview, but I knew I had done my best. I had been honest, open, and vulnerable. Within a span of about ten minutes, I had at least five directors come up to me, shake my hand, and tell me what an amazing job I had done. This comforted me, knowing that other people thought I deserved it. My friends and family asked me in the next week if I thought I would receive the scholarship and what I would do if I did not receive it. I thought I had it, I didn’t want to be over confident, but I had an unexplainable feeling. If I didn’t get the scholarship I would have been crushed. I would not be at the University of Minnesota because I would not have been able to afford tuition.
On February 23, 2018 I received a package in the mail. My mom brought it to school, so I could open it before basketball. She had flowers and balloons and I knew it was good. I opened it and pulled out a letter. I read “Dear Bridget, The Western Golf Association is pleased to advise…” At this point I realized that I had received the scholarship and I broke down into tears. I hugged my mom, called my dad and my grandparents, and went to thank my teachers. I was crying as I got onto the bus to go to my basketball game. My coach pulled me aside to make sure I was okay. I said, “Coach, I just received a full ride to college.” He hugged me and told me how proud he was. He had coached me since the sixth grade and had been there every step of this unbelievable journey.
Now here I am, a freshman at the University of Minnesota. Following my dreams, and not having to worry about how I’m going to finance it. I didn’t have to take out student loans, I don’t have to pay for a dorm, I don’t need a meal plan. Provided I keep my grades up, I will graduate college without debt. I can pursue my dreams. I can never thank the Western Golf Association and all supporters of the Evans Scholarship enough, they have truly changed my life. I can say, without a doubt, that the decision to get out of bed and caddy that morning in May was truly the best decision I have ever made.

4 comments:

  1. Your story was very engaging, detailed, and interesting! Congratulations on receiving the scholarship! Your essay was really detailed and thorough ,and I could imagine the steps you took to win the scholarship. I could especially visualize the final scholarship interview you did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your scholarship! I loved your story, I was totally enthralled the entire time. I had a friend who has caddied over of couple previous summers, albeit not as much as you did, and he was always talking about how hard and exhausting it was. Nice job! (By the way I know cookies would be totally appreciated if you find yourself inspired to make some).

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did really well describing all of the details from the interview to finding out you had won the scholarship. The emotion of you talking about your pediatrician really stuck throughout the story. It was really easy to visualize all of the essay!

    ReplyDelete