Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Word Picture

After only a few months of working full time at the so called “coffee and sunshine cafe”, I was already disillusioned with the retro décor and cheery atmosphere. Looking through fresh eyes, I too would marvel at the old leather sofas and 60’s style tables with former public-school chairs, the unfinished hardwood floors, the local art filling every inch of burnt orange and turquoise walls. I would enjoy the strong aroma of freshly ground coffee and baked goods, made from scratch daily. I might comment about the strange lamp on the counter, the one with the mannequin leg post adorned in fishnet tights and a high heel. Or, I would inquire about the sign reading “This area reserved for The Council of Elders from 6:00 am- 7:00 am. Thank you for respecting the sacred space of the Elders.” But there was no need to inquire- as an employee I knew it was just a group of old guys who would gather to drink coffee and smoke cigarettes on the back patio. It was a neighborhood place, quirky to say the least. After working there for three months I no longer paid attention to what a new customer might, but the regulars I had come to know by name, order, and mug. I had come to know and like them, expecting their presence to add some interest to my day.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked reading your post. I loved the vivid descriptions of the sights and smells. I was able to feel like I was in the coffee shop. I liked how you explained that you know the people that go there everyday and that you know their orders. I also liked the mood in your writing. I think it fits the mood in a coffee shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you know everything about the coffee shop that only employees would know. The wording of everything makes it an exciting piece to read and made me want to know what is coming next. The detail of everything makes the piece come alive as well.

    ReplyDelete