Sunday, September 23, 2018

Word Picture


As a curious young man beginning high school, something happened to me that changed the way I look at unfamiliar things. I hated going out to places that were foreign to me. I would never step out of my comfort zone to go to different places when I hung out with my friends. So, one of my friends decided to bring me to do something fun, and I accepted. At the time, he never told me that we were going to break into an abandoned military base. Confronted with the first obstacle, we scrambled over a fence and I landed in an uncomfortable position on a spiky plant, which immediately shocked me back up. Our entrance was through the window reflected by a full moon. Jamming through the window, our oxygen masks gorged the ancient dust particles in the air. Each and every one of our footsteps alerted the imaginary peril in the building. Peering in one of the room’s safes felt like someone was watching us, as a rotary dial phone hung from the table. We bolted up the eerie staircase, which reeked of dead animals, only to be stopped by a door titled “dead people inside.” It was irresistible to go in, as it was the only way to the roof. Red and Blue sirens were flashing not too far, and my body started pounding. After that, I learned that leaving my comfort zone was the best thing I have ever done.

2 comments:

  1. Throughout your Word Picture you used very good descriptive words that really brought the story to life. I also thought you illustrated the message of overcoming your fears very well. Overall great job of intriguing the reader and creating a mystic feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Throughout your Word Picture you used very good descriptive words that really brought the story to life. I also thought you illustrated the message of overcoming your fears very well. Overall great job of intriguing the reader and creating a mystic feel.

    ReplyDelete