Thursday, November 15, 2018

What type of YouTube channel do you want to follow?


Some Americans may assume that everyone around them is a fan of the most popular YouTube channels such as Liza Koshy, Ryan Higa, or Jenna Marbles. However, the purpose of the YouTube itself contradicts this assumption: to provide a world-wide platform to share the diverse and unique voices of our world. As a result, each person connects with and enjoys different content. I personally have found myself enjoying the Kaurbeauty channel, created by an indian female youtuber, Puneet, who posts academic and makeup videos, and different challenges on YouTube. I found myself watching these videos consistently not only because of the humorous and engaging content, and interesting discussions, but also because her presence on YouTube inspired me and others, as seen through the comments, to become better people.
Her makeup tutorials are engaging and her techniques have been clearly developed over a long period of time. The overall video has astounding shots and sound effects, which add to the overall quality of the content. In her makeup tutorials and challenges, she spoke occasionally of her ambitions and her beliefs. All her videos echoed those views well. She represents women who are ambitious and academically focused, but also women who love to dress nicely and stay fit. At the same time, she believes that women can dress well without having to expose too much of themselves. Being an indian women, I know these beliefs align with many in the Asian community and possibly many others who are not Asian. Her confidence and character inspires me and also gave me an opportunity to see that truly anything is possible if you put enough effort into the things you want. She graduated summa cum laude from UC Berkeley, while staying very healthy and happy. In addition, her humble nature and driven attitude makes her a likeable person. As a result, her YouTube channel is just as amazing she is.  It is clear many others have been positively impacted by her as a person, as the comments are filled with high school and college students who are inspired by her.
Her channel has fashion hauls try-ons, makeup tutorials, exercises, and engaging and funny videos with her two brothers. All these factors resulted in me watching these videos longer than I probably should. Some videos such as “My brothers read my verified Instagram DMs” and “Trying to speak Hindi, brother does my makeup”are very funny and easily became the highlights of my day. More than the humor, she has discussions with her brothers on pressing topics such as “(being) In Love with Someone my Family Doesn’t Approve of” or “Do I Feel Doctors should make more than Beauty Gurus”. These videos often expand my viewpoint and interesting to watch if I have already watched tv after a long day of school but don’t want to begin my schoolwork yet.
Through my experiences watching YouTube videos, I can say that many very popular YouTube videos are funny and engaging. I often find videos such as “How to trick people into thinking you're good looking”, very interesting as Jenna Marbles does not look great in the video and her perspective seems interesting. However, I have found that though initially these types of videos seem interesting, it is never something that you can watch for a long period of time. These videos lack substance and value, and do not benefit in our lives in any besides the fun of it for a short period of time. The unexpectedness factor disappears after a couple of videos and it becomes less interesting as it initially was. These channels do not leave me inspired in any way. If you want to stick to a YouTube channel for a long period of time, you should consider Kaurbeauty.
This parallels to celebrities. Many indulge in learning about the celebrities such as Kim Kardashian. From my perspective, spending time reading about them in magazines is useless if done for a long period of time or a daily basis. The things we watch, hear, and learn, shape the way we think, act, and eventually who we become. Puneet’s channel is entertaining, engaging, and inspiring: a truly unique combination. It is truly up to you what you want to do. Do you want to follow a YouTube channel that you just find funny or intriguing for a moment or  do you want to watch videos for a long period of time that are funny and better yourself in the process? The choice is yours.

4 comments:

  1. I liked reading your blog post! I really enjoy watching makeup related videos and this post made me want to watch Puneet's channel! I liked how you added that her content is relatable and can keep viewers interested for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your introduction was great and gave a good idea about youtube in general and about the other content. I enjoyed how you separated Puneet's channel from everyone else's by explaining how it is not only funny but also inspiring. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your blog post and I think you did a very nice job. I especially like how in the introduction you took a common theme and gave it a different spin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your description of Puneets channel was very engaging, even though it may not pertain to me as much as someone else. Regardless I enjoyed how you showcased her channel as something that is different and unique, I especially enjoyed how you talked about the videos she does on her channel.

    ReplyDelete