Sunday, November 18, 2018

Blog Post #3 - Favorite Corner of the Internet

Sam Johnson

Prof. Clara Biesel

Favorite Corner of the Internet

University Writing

10/21/18


The internet contains more information and insight than any one person would be able to explore, but one of the most interesting and astounding corners of this interconnected social web is the images found under the “wanderlust” tag on instagram.

Wanderlust is described as the strong desire to travel. I have found that many people who have this desire are able to capture their adventures through the art of photography. Photography can be used to tell a story, express a feeling, or even simply inspire an individual. While scrolling endlessly through my instagram feed, I often find myself drifting further and further into the niche area of exploration photos. These images continuously capture my attention as they display the beauty that can be found in travel, and have the power to bring a person to a location they may never otherwise experience. I have always found an interest in photography, and like many other photographers I share a passion for exploration and discovery. I have found myself using the captivating images from the adventures of others as inspiration as I stare down the lens of my own camera. More specifically, I have found that scenery photos that include the traveler cause me to gain wanderlust myself, fueling my aspirations to explore the world for myself, and discover experience I can gain from each unique corner of the world. When one finds him or her self exploring this corner of the internet, often times it is easy to forget what is going on around you as you dive deeper and deeper into the travels of others. In a way, by looking at these photos, you can imagine yourself there with the photographer, allowing you a small, yet inspiring glimpse of the beauty that was captured during the moment that photo was taken. I find this inspiring because it makes a person desire exploration, and often times can be motivating as you feel that you should go out and do something productive. Furthermore, you can learn a lot about different cultures or locations based on the ideas that are embedded within each photo.
For example, the photos that appear under the “wanderlust” category portray a whole different life than yours, which allows you insight on a lifestyle or culture that you may never be exposed to. You may find yourself in a mountain village, or trekking through the Egyptian desert, but each photo that you see is an artistic expression of something diverse, which in turn gives you a more detailed insight on just how different and unique each part of the world is.

Overall exploring this vast category of images can provoke thoughts and even inspire wanderlust in the viewer themselves. It is a mixture of art, culture and nature that makes this corner of the internet so special. It is truly unique in the way in which it has the power to provoke thoughts and aspirations.

No comments:

Post a Comment